FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (AND ANSWERS)
Scientific diagnostics is fundamental for the study of an artwork, for the historical and stylistic interpretation, for the assessment of its conservation state and in the investigations prior to a conservation intervention.
2. What kinds of investigations are relevant in order to assess the conservation state of an art work?
It really depends on the context, but in general, very briefly:
– To identify the presence of retouchings, detachments, paint-overs and layers of varnish or waxes: Multilayer, IR reflectography, Multispectral reflectography, UV fluorescence, UV reflectance, Thermography
– To deliver information about the structure of the artwork and on the way the support was realized: X radiography, Thermography, raking light photography, 3D relief
– To render the state of the surface and related degeneration: Raking light photography, 3D relief
In order to resolve doubts about the authenticity of a painting the following investigation may be suggested: IR reflectography, since it allows to identify the execution techniques, the style of the underdrawing, and the possible location of signatures, words or dates.
The comparison between the results of the IR False Color and the UV Fluorescence images, in order to identify and discriminate the use of certain pigments, which are later than the attributed date of a painting. To this end, supporting analyses are XRF, and Reflectance Spectroscopy, and when necessary some chemical tests on a microsample.
Please also check the Investigation services we offer.
The cost varies mainly with the artwork dimensions (since the time needed is generally proportional to them) and depending on where the object is located. We provide free quotations.
The time needed varies principally depending on the size of the artworks. It is important, then to consider that after the acquisition time state a post-processing stage is also needed. In general though it will not pass more than a month before the complete result package will be in your hands.
6. Are your customers only large institutions or your services may be also useful to private small collectors?
Our services are intended for a wide range of clients, from large institutions to private collectors.
Our device are portable, thus we would come to you if you would prefer this solution
The only real need is that of having enough space in front of the device, generally about 1m from the artwork surface.